The service desk was a development of the help desk, birthed out of ITSM best method framework ITIL (previously called the IT Infrastructure Library), and based upon the underlying principle of “managing IT as a solution.”
A help desk was birthed of IT-centricity (data processor computer). In contrast, a service desk was born of IT service-centricity (ITIL-espoused method to supply IT as a service).
It could appear petty, but many will say that a help desk assists. In contrast, a service desk supplies service, i.e., with a service desk, there’s a concentrate on providing a solution to finish individuals with some semblance of customer support.
A help desk is supposed to be focused on break-fix (what ITIL calls event management), whereas a service desk is there to help with not just break-fix however also with solution requests (ask for brand-new services) as well as ask for info (such as “how do I do X?”). Although there’s no reason, a help desk can not likewise use these added abilities (other than IT terms trends).
A help desk was an addition to existing IT tasks. In contrast, the service desk becomes part of a service-based IT service delivery and IT support environmental community developed around something called “the solution lifecycle.” Probably a huge reason that the term service desk was utilized over help desk in ITIL.
Those versed in ITIL will undoubtedly state that a help desk is tactical, whereas a service desk is strategic. This will, indeed, vary across organizations.
A help desk could be considered as using a part of service desk capabilities by some or be certified as restricted in scope by statements such as “the helpful advancement desk to the service desk.”
IT help desk services generally include adhering to attributes:
- They act as a single factor of call for your MSP’s IT support team, so clients recognize what to do and where to go when they have a problem.
- They make use of a monitoring remedy for all incoming concerns and cases.
- They automate ticket monitoring and directing, in addition to e-mail notifications to keep your group and your customers informed.
- They provide incident as well as solution request management capabilities at a standard level.
- They can incorporate other IT service management (ITSM) techniques like expertise and setup management, although this might be limited.
- They consist of some areas and applications that are supported by specialized exterior teams.
- They offer support at levels one and two and can transfer occurrence possession when the increase is called for.
- They give end customers basic self-service choices.